This said, I am incredibly grateful for my life and loves. I am learning to appreciate and enjoy them even when life (and life for those dear to me) is hard. Even when Rod and I struggle together, my friend's children die prematurely, a too- young friend has a mysterious and sudden illness, when "tomorrow" seems really far away, my family is discouraged, my son has a cold, and I'm tired and weary.
My new perspective has been coming from some interesting places- John 9-12. I am really loving these passages, and gleaning more from them than I ever have. I really almost feel as if I am there, following Jesus as a disciple (and, am I not, actually?). These are the verses that are imprinted on my heart;
"Neither this man nor his parents have sinned", said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life". John 9:3 (speaking of the blind man that Jesus heals later on)
"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one.''
John 10:27- 30
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" John 11:25, 26 (Jesus speaking to Martha when first seeing her after her brother Lazarus' death)
"The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and wherever I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me." John 12:25, 26
I am the blind man who needs healing, I have dear ones who have suffered terribly in this life and need an answer. I am the stupid sheep, too short- sighted to see the cliff and lions, needing a good Shepherd. I am Martha, grieving the unfair death of my brother. I am Mary, filled with spontaneous un-self- conscious worship and thanksgiving for my Savior. I am Judas, asking questions with only my wants in mind, but with a desperate longing for Saving Truth and Grace. I am a disciple, trying to understand reality.
This is it- "that the work of God might be displayed" - the renown of God- our highest purpose and joy and fulfillment- when God is most glorified and when we, enjoying Him, live our fulfilled purpose, filled with inexpressible joy and hope, enduring. Living our normal day- to- day lives, but knowing that even as we do so, there is a deeper reality simultaneously.
Rod said to Joe today when he was playing chase with him- "I got you, I got you, and I'm not gonna let you go!" I think that Jesus and the Father say this to us- "I've got you, and I'm not gonna let you go... now you've had a taste of real life- My glory and resting in My care. Now nothing and no one else can destroy you or take you, or satisfy you. Come to me..." (Isaiah 55)
My sister Bethany said so handily today on facebook;
I suddenly remembered real reality and my heart was so glad
Amen.
Here are some recent pictures for your (non-related) viewing pleasure!
The cat keeping a close eye on Joe as he plays on his car outside the door- he is turning into a fearless climber!
Learning to draw with Daddy this weekend... Joe has recently discovered the joys of crayons and pencils!
And, an increasingly common behavior- the "fit" otherwise known as a tantrum! I especially like that he is looking down to see if I'm watching! :-)
Showing off some of Joe's recent "adventuring" scars- the scrape on the forehead, a busted lip, and he also burnt his fingertips twice today- once on the waffle maker (on the countertop!), and another time on a hot dish at the lunch table!
LOVED the drawing and "fit" photos! I'm still chuckling. . . but OH, the POOR lip photo. . . At least he didn't have to have stitches -- this time. . .
ReplyDelete