Saturday, February 5, 2011

This week is better...

              So, we had a rough week last week... it started with 5 consecutive days of whining from our 19 month old son (do I whine in front of him?).  We had a break on Wednesday, only for me to have my own emotional blow- out (unfortunately affecting the whole household as well).  Sometimes, life is just not what you want it to be.  This is what I get for week 2 of scheduling structure  with my own chores and things I want to do actually written down for me to keep track of daily.  Go figure!
          Lessons learned:
  • Joe's behavior will always be changing as he grows- as one friend put it, a method for managing a certain behavior will work for weeks, and then all of a sudden it won't!
  • To cut myself a break when this happens, and not just me for that matter, Rod too.  We're kind of winging this parenting thing together!
  • I have an amazing husband- I mean I knew he was, but he especially showed me grace when I really didn't deserve it this week.  Not only was he nice to me personally, but he also was really helpful with Joe- disciplining him, playing with him, getting him ready for bed, etc.
  • Take care of myself, take care of myself, take care of myself (nobody else can do it like I can, and I cheat myself and my family if I expect someone else to do it for me)!!  This for me includes:  enough daily time with God for me to be able to listen to Him, some at least weekly solitude, a creative/ mental outlet, enough sleep, good diet, exercise, and some friend/ family time.  
  • I really love couponing, and it's actually getting easier and taking less time and energy!  And, it's really saving us money!
  • It can be helpful for Joe and I to have a project to do together- like making cookies (yay- he's actually mature enough to at least half do this!!).
  • I have amazing family and friends!  My SIL (sister- in- law) Jess listened to me decompress, was truthful with me, insightful, and encouraging.  My friends Jenn and Ruth did the same, and were just "there for me"!  Thanks, Ladies!!
  • 45 degrees Fahrenheit with a strong northerly wind is too cold to take Joe outside for an hour- long work-out in the non- Finnish winter gear I have for him.
   Along with a few other more personal lessons that I won't detail here, I think that's a lot learned for one week!  Now for the fun part- a few photos for your enjoyment!


Joe and I made chocolate chip cookies- for the first time together (with garbanzo beans, they were quite delicious!)!



Yummy- taste test!!



Why can't I have some now?!



Mm-Mmmmmm!



Joe peeking out the kitchen window to watch Daddy, cleaning his new National Match rifle (below).





The chefs, both happy for the yummy distraction!!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderfully written Sister! It is a pleasure to read your blog (and even better talking to you on the phone like I got to yesterday)! Love you guys very much! PS the pics were amazing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SURE ENJOYED this photo-blog! I'll show it to Joe's cousin Hilda before Gpa and I head for home tomorrow. . . Goodnight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello dear sister :) Your honesty makes me so happy...definitely agree with the taking care of yourself! It IS hard though! You are lovely and I like you a lot...(I still wanna be like you when I grow up :) LOVELOVELOVE

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad this week is better for you! Thanks for the honest reminder to take care of "mom"! It's too easy to overlook ourselves in this stage of motherhood!

    ReplyDelete